Here are some steps that you can take to protect your email account:
- Use a complex password that is easy for you to remember but would be difficult for others to guess.
- Change your email account password on a regular basis (e.g. every 90 days).
- Don't use your email password as the password to access any of your online accounts.
- Don't share your email password with anyone.
- Your email provider will never ask you to confirm or disclose your password. If you receive an email requesting you to enter your password, it is a scam!
- Consider setting up two factor authentication for your email account.
- If your email password ever becomes compromised, change it immediately.
Because most people use their email accounts on a daily basis, it is quite common for people to set weak or easy to remember passwords for their email accounts. Remember - if your email account is hacked, it's basically game over. Don't become a victim!